Sunday, August 31, 2014

Rashmi bookmarks “Rouse Up, O Young Men of the New Age!”


Translated by John Nathan, "Atarashii hito yo mezameyo" is a semi-autobiographical novel by Kenzaburo Oe, about life with his mentally handicapped son, Hikari (referred to as "Eeyore" throughout). On one hand the narrative follows the story of a father's struggle to deal - and build a relationship - with his handicapped son. On the other, it shows us the author's own interpretation of events in light of the poetry of Blake.

This was my first Oe novel, and I think this may not have been a good choice for a starting point. Being semi-autobiographical, there were so many moments where I felt I was intruding into the privacy of someone whom I had only just met.

That said, the sections dealing with Eeyore really touched me. Oe embarks on this journey by deciding to create a 'hand book' about life which would assist his son. As events play out however, Eeyore, through his many actions and reactions to life situations, ends up helping his father learn and grow. From helplessly asking Eeyore if he is in pain or nauseous ... to living through such simple realities as a childhood doctor retiring ... to dealing with a society that considers such children a blemish on their flawless neighbourhood, this is a poignant story of weakness and strength, culminating in that absolutely brilliant episode that showcases Eeyore's transformation to Hikari.

I think this book deserves a second read, and I will come back to it after reading some fiction by Oe.

No comments:

Post a Comment